Full of raspberries, flaky and decadent served with coconut cream or on their own, these scones are a perfect for breakfast or afternoon tea.
Yield: 8 scones
Prep time: 10 minutes (+ Time to chill coconut milk – see below)
Bake time: 20-25 minutes
1 flax egg
1 cup sorghum flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill variety)
1 cup gluten free flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill variety)
zest of 1 lemon
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup coconut sugar or unrefined cane sugar
1/2 cup room temperature coconut oil (not liquid)
1/2 cup almond milk
1/4 cup lemon juice (approx. juice of 1 lemon)
1 cup frozen raspberries
For Coconut Vanilla Cream:
1 can full fat coconut cream or coconut milk (refrigerate for 2 hours minimum)
1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or substitute with 1 vanilla bean pod or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Take a large baking sheet and line with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl make flax egg by whisking together 1 Tbsp of ground flaxseed and 3 Tbsp of water. Set it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add sorghum and gluten free flours. Add grated lemon zest to the flour and mix.
- Next add the baking soda, sea salt, and sugar to the flour mixture. Whisk to incorporate.
- Add coconut oil to the flour mixture and use a pastry cutter (or your hands) until only pea sized bits of the coconut oil remain in the flour.
- In a separate bowl, add the almond milk and lemon juice. You’ll notice the milk will curdle a little bit – this is a good thing! Then add the flax egg.
- Pour almond milk mixture into flour mixture and gently mix together. Be careful not to over mix.
- Add raspberries to the mix by folding them in gently.
- Transfer your dough to a floured surface – use either gluten free or sorghum four.
- Gently shape and press the dough into a large disk shape about 1.5-2″ thick. Using a large knife, cut the dough like a pizza into 8 even scones.
- Gently transfer the scones to the prepared baking sheet, spacing evenly apart – they will spread a bit in the oven so don’t put them too close together 😉
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- While scones are baking, make coconut cream by opening the can of coconut cream or milk and scooping out the hardened cream into a small mixing bowl. Discard the watery liquid (or save for a smoothie!). Add the vanilla to the cream and whisk together. Voila! You have coconut cream! You can add a little maple syrup if you prefer it a bit sweeter.
- Remove scones from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes and serve warm with coconut cream. Enjoy!
- These scones freeze really well. To serve from frozen, just remove them from the freezer and place directly in a hot oven for 5-10 minutes and serve.
ADD A COMMENT