This veggie burger recipe has quickly become a family favourite. Sure to satisfy even the carnivores in the crowd, this veggie burger is chalk full of plant-based protein and flavour. It’s moist but holds together well, even on the BBQ, especially when you make it ahead and let the burgers chill for a few hours before you cook them. To make this burger gluten-free, I like using butter lettuce leaves or a yummy gluten free burger bun. Enjoy!
Prep time: 30 minutes + 1-2 hours chill time
Yield: 9 burgers
3 Tbsp ground flax seed + 1/2 cup water
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion diced
6 garlic cloves minced
1 tsp smoked chipotle powder
1 tsp cumin
10 oz mushrooms sliced
1 cup gluten-free oats
1 cup walnuts
1 can black beans
1 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce (omit if vegan or use a vegan version)
1 tsp salt
pinch of black pepper
- In a small bowl mix together ground flax seed and water. Set aside and let thicken to form a ‘flax egg’. Prepare a large baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper and set aside.
- Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil on medium heat for 2 mins until onions are translucent. Add in chipotle powder, cumin and mushrooms. Continue to sauté for 4-5 mins until mushrooms have cooked down. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a food processor pulse oats and walnuts until just ground, but not too fine. Add in black beans, cooked quinoa, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Pulse until just mixed together.
- Add flax egg, mushrooms and onions and pulse again until the mixture comes together to form a dough like texture. Be careful not to mix together too much otherwise the burgers will have a paste-like texture – you want to be able to still see some onions and quinoa in the mix.
- Using a 1/4 cup measure, measure out each burger and form patties placing on the prepared parchment paper when done. Once you are done forming all the patties, cover with plastic wrap and let set in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours. If you are cooking the burgers on the BBQ, allow them to chill for 2 hours minimum so that they are nice and firm for the grill.
- Grill or pan fry burgers on each side for 2-3 mins until golden brown and heated through. Serve with your choice of garnishes such as sliced onion, lettuce, mustard etc. Enjoy!