Summer is the season of backyard BBQs and get togethers and this simple Tempeh Kabab recipe is perfect for a quick and easy summer night meal. Feel free to add other veggies to the skewers and if tempeh doesn’t tickle your fancy you can substitute with organic tofu cubes. Don’t forget to add the chimichurri sauce! It’s fresh, tangy and adds some zing to these yummy kababs. This recipe is great served along with your favourite simple green salad.
*Tip: to prevent the wooden skewers from burning on the grill, soak them in water for at least 1 hour before prepping the kababs.
Yield: 12 kababs
Time: 10 minutes prep + 8 mins cook time
12 small wooden skewers pre-soaked in water for at least 1 hour (or use reusable metal skewers)
1 pkg organic tempeh (substitute tofu if you aren’t into tempeh)
1 red onion
2 zucchinis (I used 2 smaller ones)
12 cherry tomatoes
12 medium cremini mushrooms
Chimichurri Sauce Ingredients:
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 tsp sea salt
2 garlic cloves minced
1 shallot finely chopped
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 cup parsley minced
1/2 cup cilantro minced
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Prepare the chimichurri sauce by combining vinegar, salt, garlic, shallot, red pepper flakes and cumin together in a medium bowl and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Next stir in cilantro, parsley and olive oil. Whisk together and set sauce aside to marinate while you grill your kababs.
- Preheat grill to med-high.
- Cut tempeh into 1″ x 1″ cubes and set aside.
- Cut the red onion and zucchini into large 1″ chunks similar to the size of the tempeh cubes.
- Assemble your first kabab by adding a mushroom, tomato, tempeh cube, chunk of onion and zucchini to a skewer. Repeat and continue until you have created all 12 kababs.
- Grill kababs for 2-3 minutes on each side – rotating all 4 sides of the tempeh cubes – until vegetables are cooked to your liking.
- Remove kababs from the grill and serve with chimichurri sauce. The kababs can be kept up to 1-2 days in the refrigerator as leftovers. Enjoy!
ADD A COMMENT