It seems everyone is baking up a storm while we practice social distancing from home. The problem for many of us is that our grocery stores have run out of flour! But fear not, that’s when recipes like this one that don’t require any flour come in handy! This recipe is paleo and vegan friendly as well as gluten/grain and egg-free! Perfect for afternoon tea or healthier treat for the kiddos. Enjoy!
Yield: approx. 20 cookies
Time: 10 minutes prep time + 10-12 minutes baking time
1 flax egg (1 Tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 3 Tbsp water and set aside to thicken)
3 cups almond flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup coconut oil melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup mini dark chocolate chips (dairy-free)
1. Combine flaxseed and water to make flax egg and set aside to thicken.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. In a mixing bowl combine almond flour, baking soda and salt. Stir to combine.
4. Next mix in the wet ingredients: flax egg, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla. Mix to combine thoroughly and form a soft dough. Then fold in the chocolate chips.
5. Drop the batter with a spoon or an ice cream scoop (you want approx. rounded tablespoon size cookies) onto the prepared baking sheet. With a fork or the palm of your hand, flatten the cookies to the thickness you prefer. These cookies will not spread out when they bake so shape them as you wish them to be. For example, if you want a crispier cookie, flatten it more so it’s thinner vs keeping it thicker, which will yield a cookie with a moist centre.
6. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes or more until the edges are just lightly golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. They can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 days but trust me, they won’t last that long! I’ve also had great success freezing them in an air-tight container.