Finding fresh organic cherries is rare on our little island, so when a friend messaged me that our grocery store had some I immediately rushed there and bought 3 baskets! Then the task was eating them – what a dilemma I know… This recipe is by far a family favourite of all the ways to devour beautiful fresh cherries and now I’m sharing it with you. Enjoy!
Yield: one 9-inch tart, 8 servings
Time: 20 minutes prep time + 30 minutes baking time
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1/3 cup arrowroot powder (I use Bob’s Redmill)
1 Tablespoon + 1 tsp maple syrup
3 Tablespoon softened grass fed butter, ghee or vegan butter substitute
2 teaspoons of water
pinch of sea salt
1/3 cup softened grass fed butter, ghee or vegan butter substitute
1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
1 cup almond flour
1 egg or substitute 1 flax egg or use egg replacer
1/2 tsp almond extract or substitute with vanilla extract
1 cup pitted fresh cherries cut into halves or smaller pieces
1. Grease a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Make the crust by combining the almond four and arrowroot powder together in a medium bowl and whisk together so they are well blended. Then add the maple syrup, butter and water and work together with a rubber spatula until mixture is well combined.
3. Turn your crust mixture onto your tart pan and with your fingers firmly press the dough across the bottom and up the sides of your tart pan. Then put the tart crust in the freezer for 10 mins to firm. Once chilled and firm, place the tart crust in the oven to bake for 10 minutes while you make the filling.
4. To make your filling combined softened butter, maple syrup, almond flour, egg and extract and mix together until smooth.
5. Remove the tart shell from the oven and spread the filling evenly over the tart shell with a spatula. Then distribute your cherries evenly on top of your filling pressing them gently into the filling batter.
6. Return the tart to the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until tart is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack. Enjoy alone or with coconut cream or ice cream. Best served same day but you can make this recipe ahead keep in refrigerator for 2 days.